Burn Permits

 Locate your
Section, Township & Range (STR)
“The process of obtaining a Burn Permit from the AFC requires the requestor to provide “Section, Township and Range (STR)” location information. To determine the STR for the location of your burn permit, use our ‘STR Locator’ by clicking here. Zoom into your area where the location of the Burn Permit will take place, and write down the STR. You will provide this information to our personnel when you call to obtain your Burn Permit.”
To Report a Wildfire or
Obtain a Prescribed Burn Permit:

Huntsville – 1-800-572-2017

Madison, Jackson, Dekalb, Marshall, Cherokee, Etowah, Blount, Calhoun

Florence – 1-800-942-3107
Lauderdale, Colbert, Limestone, Franklin, Marion, Lawrence, Morgan, Cullman, Winston Counties

Dadeville – 1-800-492-3711
St Clair, Talladega, Cleburne, Randolph, Clay, Coosa, Chambers, Tallapoosa Counties

Tuscaloosa – 1-800-452-5923
Tuscaloosa, Lamar, Fayette, Walker, Jefferson, Shelby, Bibb, Pickens Counties

Selma – 1-800-242-2504
Dallas, Autauga, Chilton, Perry, Wilcox, Marengo, Hale, Greene, Sumter Counties

Brewton – 1-800-672-3076
Escambia, Conecuh, Monroe, Baldwin Counties

Bay Minette – 1-800-672-6912
Mobile, Washington, Clarke, Choctaw Counties

Montgomery – 1-800-392-5679
Montgomery, Elmore, Macon, Lee, Lowndes, Russell, Bullock, Barbour, Pike, Butler, Crenshaw, Covington, Coffee, Geneva, Dale, Henry, Houston Counties

To obtain a Burn Permit please contact the AFC dispatch center for your county. Certified Burn Managers can obtain a permit on-line by visiting

A Burning permit, 9-13-11 of the 1975 Code of Alabama, is required for all forestry and agricultural burns.  In general, the permit means the burner has the manpower and equipment to control the fire and agrees to stay with the fire until it is out.  Burning permits may be obtained by calling the Alabama Forestry Commission.   Even though the burner has a permit, he/she is still responsible for any damage to others that may be caused by the fire or smoke.  Alabama has a Certified Burner Law designed to reduce burner liability.

Even though the law requires a permit for all "wood & field" fires, the AFC has administratively exempted fires smaller than 1/4 acre if it is more than 25 feet from a forested area.  However, the burner is still responsible for the fire.

Upon requesting a permit, the burner will be asked about the burn.  The approximate size will be needed along with what is to be burned, i.e. grassland/fields/forests, and the general purpose of the burn such as fire hazard reduction, regeneration, wildlife benefit, etc.  The burn must not contain material such as vehicle tires, construction material, household garbage or other material prohibited by ADEM (Alabama Department of Environmental management)

There are some County and City Laws that also restrict outdoor burning.  Burners are responsible for contacting their local government for additional information.

The permit may be canceled by the AFC for failure to comply with the terms of the permit, weather condition change which cause erratic and dangerous fire behavior, or if the burn produces smoke which becomes a hazard to others or contributes to a degradation of air quality.