Alabama law (9-13-11) requires that you obtain a permit from the Alabama Forestry Commission to conduct a prescribed burn for silvicultural and agricultural purposes. In general, the permit means the burner has the manpower and equipment to control the fire and agrees to stay with the fire until it is out. If the proposed fire is less than ¼ of an acre a permit is not necessary. Even though the burner has a permit, he/she is still responsible for any damage to others that may be caused by the fire or smoke.

The permit is issued through our dispatch center by calling (800) 392-5679. Certified Prescribed Burn Managers can get a permit online at Burnpermits.Forestry.Alabama.Gov.

Upon requesting a permit, the burner will be asked about the burn. The location needs to be reported by giving the Lat/Long. You can determine this information by using our Latitude and Logitude Locator. You will also need to give the approximate size of the burn along with what is to be burned, i.e. grassland/fields/forests, and the general purpose of the burn such as fire hazard reduction, regeneration, wildlife benefit, etc. The burn must not contain material such as vehicle tires, construction material, household garbage or other material prohibited by ADEM (Alabama Department of Environmental management)

There are some County and City Laws that also restrict outdoor burning. Burners are responsible for contacting their local government for additional information.

The permit may be canceled by the AFC for failure to comply with the terms of the permit, weather condition change which cause erratic and dangerous fire behavior, or if the burn produces smoke which becomes a hazard to others or contributes to a degradation of air quality.

Additional Resources